November 18, 2008

Rude Awakening

Today is my first day back at work and I am ready to leave. If you look at the time this is posted though it will show around 10:00am. . . today is not going by fast enough. I can't wait to get back home to my little princess. Last night I started crying knowing I had to come back to work. But it's not just Taylor that I am going to miss. I forgot how lucky I was to be home these past 6 weeks and have time to spend with DJ. At least we'll be able to eat dinner with each other every night but our days together will be limited. We might have to both play hookie some days. :)

I came to the realization that I need a new job; one that is closer to home! In order to get to my desk on time I had to leave almost 1 1/2 hours before I am scheduled to start at work. This meant leaving my house by 6:45 to get to my desk by 8:00. I took the bus like I usually do but never realized before exactly how much time I spend getting to work this way. I have to be thankful at least that I was not overwhelmed with work when I came back. The gal that covered for me did a very nice job of staying on top of things. Notice I said I wasn't overwhelmed with work. I was however welcomed back with a rude awakening. First thing this morning I was hit with major changes within the city.
Here are the changes we now have to look forward to:
- Our insurance rates have been raised by 22%
- My bus pass will now be $45 a month and there will be a $4/day parking fee at the Park-N-Ride
- Our yearly bonuses are taken away (they were only 1% of our salary but we had to complete a program and meet a quota in order to get this in the first place
- The Mayor normally gave everyone one paid day off work and we no longer get that
- There will not be any merit increases of pay next year so we will be stuck at the same pay until 2010
- Starting the day after Thanksgiving there will be mandatory days off without pay that each employee will have to take (this is about $100/day for me)

I'm waiting to hear about any more changes that might be coming. Hopefully there are no layoffs in the future. So for now I am thankful I have a job and a beautiful baby and boyfriend waiting for me at home.

No comments: