February 10, 2010

Read a Book a Month

On my list I said I wanted to read at least one book a month. So far I have accomplished this goal. To date since making the list I have read, The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks and Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom.



I loved The Time Travelers Wife. A new favorite of mine, one I will have to buy for my personal collection. I waited in anticipation to read it. I got on the library waiting list early but I was still # 69 on the list. Well worth the wait if you haven't read it. The movie was just released on DVD so it's on my list of things to do this weekend. I hope the movie is as good as the book.

The Last Song was very good. I have read every book published by Nicholas Sparks and he still remains my favorite author. The movie is coming to theaters on April 2nd and I will be there to see it. DJ bought me the book for Christmas and I was thrilled. I normally wait until they are in paperback or available at the library. I don't mean to go off topic but a few years ago I read the book Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. Also a favorite. I saw the movie last weekend with Carrie and Jess and it was great. I liked the ending better, Channing Tatum (must click - he plays John) is very very nice on the eyes and it was sweet. Great for mom's and daughters to see together.


I finished Tuesdays with Morrie last night on the way home from work. I loved this book - again another one I will read again in the future every so often and one I need for my personal collection. I think it's a must for anyone who hasn't read it. It's also a short book so it was easy to get through. I found it uplifting, changed how I viewed a lot of topics and people around me. I even found myself having to write down a lot of quotes. I loved their topics:

Materialistic people: "So hungry for love they were accepting substitutes" Isn't this becoming more true of all Americans?


Family: "The fact is, there is no foundation, no secure ground, upon which people may stand today if it isn't the family"


Marriage: "There are a few rules I know to be true about love and marriage: If you don't respect the other person you're gonna have a lot of trouble. If you don't know how to compromise, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. If you can't talk openly about what goes on between you, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. And if you don't have a common set of values in life, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. Your values must be alike. The biggest value is your belief in the importance of marriage"


The book I am starting tonight is The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. Another short read but I will let you know what I think.
Any book suggestions? I'm at a loss after this one.






No comments: