October 23, 2010

Dinner

Since we got back from Mexico I have spent a lot of time in the kitchen. I have been ready for fall since the middle of the summer. DJ and I decided in Mexico that we would start eating better and not eating so much junk and snack foods. But of course, with fall comes the desire to be in a warm kitchen baking. It hasn't been good for our waist lines. Yes, we've had parties that I needed to take a dessert to and we've shared everything with family and friends so we technically haven't eaten all of it - it's still not good to have around. Since we've been back I have made 10 dozen chocolate chip cookies, 5 homemade cheese cakes, 3 pies, 5 loaves of bread, 3 dozen blueberry muffins, a batch of brownies, corn bread, rolls and biscuits. This could kill any one's waist!

So to combat the effects of my baking I've been trying to make dinner as healthy as possible. I've been trying some new recipes that are super easy, require only the ingredients I normally have in the pantry/fridge and don't require much time. So I decided to share a few.


Potato, Pepper & Italian Sausage Roast

Ingredients:
2 bell peppers (I did yellow and green)
1/2 sweet onion
1 pckg sweet Italian Sausage
To Taste:
Oregano, Basil, Parsley, Garlic, Salt & Pepper
Olive Oil

Wash and slice all veggies (quarter the potatoes)
Cook Italian sausage and place in bowl with veggies
Toss veggies and sausage with seasoning and olive oil
Place on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees


Cheesy Ham & Pasta Bake

Ingredients:
1 pckg wheat penne pasta

2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cup diced ham
1 small can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp pepper

Cook pasta according to package
Combine ham, milk, mushroom soup and 1 cup cheese in a 9x13" baking dish. Stir in pasta (I did all this in a large bowl because I had a little helper that wanted to stir - less messy)
Sprinkle remaining cheese over top of pasta.
Bake at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cheese melts

Enjoy!

No comments: