November 29, 2012

Meal Planning

Whenever I go to the grocery store I always try to have a plan in mind of what meals I am going to make. I try to have a good mix of easy and quick 'throw together' meals and some new recipes. I make a menu - really it's just a list of meals and a shopping list. It works out well in the beginning because it makes me take inventory of the things I already have in our fridge or the pantry so I am not buying more than necessary. But by the time I get home one of two things happen: I realize I made my 'menu' on the same sheet of paper as my shopping list and now I've lost it or thrown it away or about 2 days into my menu plan I misplace it and then I can't, for the life of me, remember the types of meals I had on my list. At that point I just start making meals off what I have on hand. And to be honest, it stresses me out a little to get to the end of the day and realize I have no idea what I am making for dinner. So I decided we needed a new system around here. Something easy enough that DJ can use and one that can be around for the long haul.

Taylor and I went to Target and picked up this cute little set . . .

I bought the gray one.

I made my menu plan and shopping list. Got everything I needed. And when it was all home and put away neatly on the shelves I put our new little system to work.

I wrote out the meal plan for this week. Of course things may change but these were the meals that seemed easiest to make based on the activities we have planned for the rest of the week. I used the notes column to list the desserts and cookies I have ingredients for and then listed the rest of the dinners that were on my menu plan.


Now it's all tucked away - nice and neat. We can all easily see what's on hand to cook and what the plans for dinner are.

I love having the note pad right there with it too! So easy to keep track of the things I need to pick up on the next trip to the store.

No comments: