May 8, 2009

Love Hate Relationship

Since texting has come out it's been a craze for many; teenagers, adults, grandparents. Everyone is into it. But has anyone become more annoyed with it than I have? Don't get me wrong. I love texting and do it all day. I love that I can have a quick conversation with someone while still working but not have to make a phone call. It's easy, convenient and fast. But I feel like it has taken every thing personal out of a conversation and destroyed every ounce of communication.

There is a huge communication problem in my life right now. Important, meaningful, serious conversations (and yes, occasional fights) have ceased to be held face to face. Instead they are done using a key board on my phone. And what makes it worse is the face to face contact is no longer there making it easier to let hurtful, negative, mean things be said (typed) because you don't have to see the other persons facial reaction or response. Because all conversations seem to take place through text, we (I won't name names) have basically stopped having personal conversations face to face. We no longer understand how to communicate with each other.This has to stop. How am I supposed to fix a communication problem if I can't have a personal conversation face to face with one of the most important people in my life?

No comments: