March 12, 2010

Find Your Happy Place

I've been holding onto these pictures for a few months now and I'm not quit sure why I haven't posted them. Every time I go back home to Kansas one thing is guaranteed. I will stop by my favorite place in Cottonwood Falls (CWF). A farm house. Not just any farm house - but my Grandparents' farm house.
I spent 5 weeks a summer here, every Christmas on the living room surrounded by aunts, uncles and cousins. It was heaven. And sure enough, every time I visit this house, I cry. I have so many fond memories here and to be honest I am very sad this house is still not in the family.



When I was in CWF in January I got to hear some great stories about my Grandparents. I wish I had been visiting on better circumstances but I was there for my grandfathers funeral. I got to hear about what a great man he was (more than I already knew), how much he loved my grandma even after more than 60 years of marriage. And I got to hear the story of this house. My grandma said as they drove by it one day that she wanted to live in it. My dad says it took about 20 years to make that dream come true but my grandpa did move his family into that home. When I heard this story it made me think of me. It's my dream house. I wish I could own it one day. And maybe some day I will, but until then I will dream.




I remember riding my bike along the drive way in front of the house, collecting 'sea shells' from the creek behind the house and Joel and I riding his motorcycle through the fields during the summer. I loved waking up every morning to the smell of grape jelly on toast and coffee brewing. I will never forget getting locked in the 1st bedroom on the right upstairs, or sleeping in a huge room all by myself listening to the locust outside. I remember one summer my dad took fireworks out there for us. Grandpa helped us light them on the front porch. I kept one of them for years and now wish I had never thrown it away. And I will never forget the day grandma told me she needed to see a psychiatrist and I offered to be hers. We still laugh about it today.





( I would LOVE to have this sign)
One day, maybe I will own this house.

But here is the thing that DJ thought was the funniest while we were visiting the farm. He loved that I used to live across the street from them. The house has changed but it's still the same land. . .



No comments: