February 28, 2013

Batch Cooking - Breakfast Burritos

I love batch cooking. There's just something about opening up your freezer and seeing all these pre-made meals just waiting to be used for a night your busy or just plain don't feel like cooking. Since DJ travels for work he is always looking for something different to pack with him. He needs something simple that doesn't require any prep and can be warmed in a microwave or eaten cold. It's hard to find something healthy (or somewhat healthy) that falls into this category. I decided breakfast burritos would be perfect for him to take over the road with him. He can heat them on the train in the tin-foil or he can pop them in a microwave when he's at the hotel. The burritos will be great for Taylor and I when we're at home too.    

When you're doing batch cooking it's so much easier to buy things in bulk so we stopped at Sam's Club. I bought tortillas, shredded cheese, and a large fully-cooked ham. We always buy our eggs in large amounts because we go through them quickly with all the baking and cooking we do around here.

I started with the potatoes. I left the peel on so after scrubbing them clean I cut them into bite sized pieces. I used about 6 large potatoes but you could always use more or less depending on how many burritos your making.

Put them in a pan with a tbsp of olive oil, pepper, salt, and a little garlic powder. Toss them around for a few minutes over medium-high heat then cover and let cook for 10-15 minutes until tender. I cooked the potatoes in batches so they would cook evenly.

While the potatoes cooked I worked on the eggs. I just made the eggs the same way I would if I were making scrambled eggs. Yes, I used all these eggs (you can see I didn't think of taking a picture until I had already began cracking them).

While the potatoes and eggs were cooking I prepped the rest of the ingredients. I bought a fully-cooked spiral cut ham and just cut it into bite sized pieces. I didn't use the entire ham so I'll use the rest for sandwiches or another meal. 

I've never made green chili before and wasn't about to try just to make breakfast burritos so I bought a quart of green chili from Santiago's. Once everything was ready I set up a little assembly line and got to work. 

I started with a tortilla (obviously) and used tin foil a little bigger than the size of the tortilla.

Add eggs,

Potatoes,

Ham,

Cheese,

green chili,

And roll

I ended up with 22 breakfast burritos. I thought it was so weird that each pack of tortillas only had 11. Why not make it 10? or 12? Strange. I started rolling the burritos like you would a normal burrito but realized that wouldn't be very easy for DJ. They needed to be convenient if he's on the train when eating it. I rolled them up like tootsie rolls so he could just twist the tin foil off and eat it. 

I put the burritos in zip lock bags to store nicely in the freezer - 5 per bag. I kept two out in the fridge so DJ could take them with him today. 

You can make these any which way you'd like. And that's what I liked about them. Add as little or as much of any ingredient you'd like. They didn't take very long either - about an hour and a half start to finish, including cleaning up. I think these would be great to take for our next camping trip too! Yummy - batch cooking at it's finest!

1 comment:

Latryce said...

Thank you for this post!!!!