February 15, 2013

Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies

Last year for Valentine's Day I had written this on chalk board:

You are the Peanut Butter to my Jelly
Water to my Ocean
Glaze on my Donut
Spring in my Step
Twinkle in my Eye
Blue in my Sky
Cherry on my Sundae
Flip to my Flop
Milk to my Cookie
Sweet in my Dreams
Beat of my Heart
Best to my Friend
Love of my Life

Then over the summer our friend Tara made some amazing peanut butter and jelly cookies. We haven't had them since then and DJ kept telling me I should try to make them. What better time to do it than Valentine's Day? I made that my theme this year and for making these cookies for the first time they turned out very well if I do say so myself. So I thought I'd share the recipe with you all.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 large egg
1/3 cup jelly (your choice of flavor), stirred to loosen

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a second large bowl, beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in peanut butter, then egg. Reduce speed to low, and beat in flour mixture until dough forms. If dough is sticky, refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into 1/2-inch balls (about 2 tablespoons each). Arrange on parchment-lined or greased baking sheet, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart. Using thumb or finger, lightly press an indentation into the center of each cookie. Refrigerate 20 minutes.

Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and fill indentation of each with a generous 1/2 teaspoon full of jelly. Bake another 6 to 7 minutes are until cookies are firm.

Enjoy with someone you love!  

No comments: