January 22, 2010

Edgar Otis Griffin

"The fact is, there is no foundation, no secure ground, upon which people may stand today if it isn't the family. It's become quite clear to me as I've been sick. If you don't have the support and love and caring and concern that you get from a family, you don't have much at all. Love is so supremely important. . . " - Tuesdays with Morrie (oddly enough I read this quote for the first time this morning)


This picture was taken around 1945. I believe this soldier was preparing to leave for WWII. He is 18 when this picture was taken. The woman in the picture? That's his beautiful wife. His wife of 64 years. He passed away today at 83 years old. They were still truly in love.

These are my grandparents. I love them to pieces.

I spent summers growing up on their farm when I was younger and I still consider those some of the best times of my life. I love that I cannot eat cottage cheese without grape jelly in it because that's the way my grandpa taught me to eat it. I loved hot summer nights trying to sleep while I listened to my grandpa snore in the next room. I love that I never heard him use a curse word but instead always said "Oh Mercy". If I ever hear anyone say that again I might cry on spot. I love that he told me that moles are not moles - they are beauty marks and every single one of them means you are more beautiful. I have believed that since he told me this when I was about 7. I love that no matter how old he got his laugh reminded me of a little kid. I hope my memories of him never fade.

I will love him always.


No comments: