May 1, 2010

Everything is Different

Around here lately we have been filled with nothing but surprises. We have good news and not so good news.


We'll start with the not so good. I wouldn't call it bad but it's never really anything someone wants to hear. This has been my week -


Monday: I lost my job. I was shocked. I arrived at work Monday morning at 8am and by 8:20am I was back on the bus headed home. My position with the State was a new position and it was finally decided that it was a position that wasn't necessary. For a few months now I have been 'filling' in where needed. I would work on random things every day, they had trouble keeping me busy and finally they had me working part time for the support service section and part time in licensing. I hated it. I would rather be over worked than under worked. It was miserable. I wasn't challeneged at all.


Monday cont': I applied for unemployment (was approved) and started looking for a new job. I was frustrated. I knew I hadn't even been laid off for a full day but I wasn't finding any job openings that would be comperable in pay.


Tuesday:  DJ and I started talking about everything that had been happening to us in the past few months. We decided I needed to think hard about what I wanted to do so I didn't get stuck in another job I hated. I made some phone calls, got some advice and that's when we decided losing my job was a blessing and that everything I had been complaining about was a sign of what we were supposed to be doing.


Wednesday: I looked forward to the next day. It held many eventful and exciting meetings.


Thursday: I met with academic advisors at our local community college. I applied for financial aide, made appointments to meet with financial aide advisors, enroll in classes etc.


Friday: My financial aide applications were accepted. I reviewed for a college placement test since my ACT and SAT scores are more than 5 years old.


This is the GOOD news. Instead of finding a job I am returning to school.  I am going to start class June 1st and I will be studying for my Associate of Science in Nursing. I would love to go for my Bachelors but I need to finish school in less than 4 years and I need to have reasonable student loans - not ones I can't afford to pay back.


You see, a few months ago I watched all these college kids get on my bus when I was heading to work. They all seemed so happy and I sent DJ a text telling him I wished I would have finished college and that I wanted to go back. Then I started the egg donation process again. I was so interested in everything the nurses did. I knew I wanted to be a nurse (at the time I thought it was just the bordem of my current job talking for me). At work I started processing Nursing applications for state licensure. I was so jealous to see applications from girls my age. I wanted to badly to have a nursing career and DJ heard about this all the time. I could go on and on but we got one sign after the next pointing us in the right direction. I posted on here a few months ago that I needed to find my calling. Since then everything has started falling into place.


I will need to attend school for about 2-2 1/2 years. I am going to go full time and give it 110%. I am so excited. Not only is this opportunity allowing me to finish my education and gain a great career but it also allows me more time at home to spend with Taylor. I've only been home with her for a week now but I love it. We take walks, bake, read books, take naps, eat lunch together. It's so fun.


I'll keep you posted on the happenings around here as they will be ever changing!

No comments: