September 28, 2010

Mexico - Day 1

DJ and I were sooo excited to go to Mexico. I was so sad about leaving Taylor for 8 days though. I knew she would be fine but I wasn't so sure about myself. We dropped her off at daycare and when I thought I was going to cry I didn't. I told DJ the sadness wouldn't sink in until we were on the plane and it felt real that we were leaving.

We hung out in the airport for a while, eating breakfast, getting excited . . . .

. . . DJ picked his nose. . .


We were both a little nervous to begin with about being in Mexico. I'm sure everyone has heard all the crazy news stories about the current happenings down there. When we landed in Cancun we found our Apple Vacation representatives and waited to go to our resort. It was about a 45 minute drive from the airport to the resort.

The main highway in Cancun was under construction so we had to drive through the back roads. Talk about a scary ride. There aren't any traffic laws out there - half of the streets didn't even have lanes! Our driver seemed very skittish while driving so that didn't help. Neither did seeing all the police and military. Driving down the road you would see 4-5 guys in the bed of a truck holding huge guns. Freaked us out!

By the time we made it to our resort DJ and I were ready to book the next flight home. The ride to the resort was anything but warm and welcoming. But we made it there in one piece.

After settling in the room and calling home we toured the resort. We walked over to one bar and met the first of many memorable couples out there. They were from Georgia. I don't know their names but DJ and I know him as Bubba. He was hilarious. . . in the 'hey look at me. I'm the drunkest person at the resort' type of funny.


We hung out in the room that night, walking around the resort and trying to relax.

These guys were everywhere. Cute from a distance but I wasn't getting too close. . .
We hung out in the room that night. We didn't get to the resort until 6pm so we were tired and hungry. We found out the buffet wasn't a good place to eat dinner. But the fajitas from room service were awesome! 


We knew Day 2 would be better. . .

No comments: