September 30, 2010

Mexico - Day 3

We were off to a rough start on Friday. The red wine, along with the cigar DJ bought the night before and the mixing of drinks didn't feel too good the next morning. We took the morning slow, ordered room service and relaxed on the porch. This is when we met the neighbors to the left - Leah & Sean. They were from Denver too and both are nurses. It was nice to talk to her because she had a lot of great advice for me on nursing programs and where to look for jobs at.

We spent the afternoon in the pool. Everyone talked about how great Playa del Carmen was and how great the shopping was. We planned on spending the evening in Playa, eating at Senior Frogs, shopping and maybe going to Coco Bongo (Las Vegas themed club).

As soon as we got there we knew it was a mistake. 5th Avenue is the tourist shopping district in Playa. It's a 2 mile stretch of shops and vendors. Two blocks down is Senior Frogs and the beach. As we walked 5th Avenue the vendors were like vultures. Looking back now it was pretty comical but at the time I was dreading shopping. Vendors would start approaching you 20 yards before their store and as you walked 30 yards past their shop they were still trying to show you their merchandise and get you into their store. DJ got picked on. One lady was calling out to him, "Hey shorty. Come look in my store. Almost free". I wanted to die laughing when he stopped walking and asked me if she really called him shorty. Pretty dang funny! He was wearing a Fossil t-shirt and someone kept calling him Mr Fossil man as he followed us.I loved that their was a Starbucks there. . .


We walked for 2 miles on the beach to avoid the shoppers and went to eat at Senior Frogs. I loved the beach but you couldn't escape the vendors there either. Everyone wanted to offer you a message.

(white across the ocean is a cruise ship and Cozumel)

Senior Frogs was an experience. The hostess approached us and was not understandable. She was offering us a shot and before we could say no she had my head in her hands. Next thing I knew I had a gross shot in my mouth, my head was being shaken in every direction, whistles were being blown and my chest was being groped by some strange lady.

I was ready to go back to the resort.

I loved all the signs. Too funny. . .

They even had a special sign for DJ. . .




DJ tried to pretend he was scared on the way back to the resort. Wait, we  were scared. We had the craziest taxi driver!
Our resort was gorgeous at night. .  .

When we got back we took a walk on the beach and found these little guys scurry everywhere. . .

No comments: