March 9, 2011

New Car

DJ keeps asking when I am going to post about my new car. I guess now is a good time. :o)
You'd think I didn't like it. . . but I love it!

My Subaru was constantly needing work done to it. We decided it was best to trade it in while we still could and get something more reliable. I HATE car shopping. I don't even know if that's a strong enough word for how much I dislike car shopping - but for here it's appropriate.

DJ did all the research and the hard stuff. I said what cars I liked, if I thought another car seat would fit in the backseat should we ever have another baby and if I would mind getting one car over the other. Easy stuff. DJ argued with the sales people, made phone call after phone call and made a sales girl cry. Sounds bad, I know.

Since DJ has been in sales he knows exactly what goes on behind the scenes and knows how to play the car buying game. First we looked at buying a used Civic or Accord. It was hard finding one that was worth buying. Then DJ saw that the new Civics were being sold for almost the same price as a used one. Honda's can really hold their value. On top of that Honda was offering .9% for anyone who qualified. Hard to pass up. So we started looking new instead of used.

DJ went back and forth over the phone negotiating with the sales lady. He threw out a really low number and said if they would sell him the car for that we would buy it. After a few phone calls our sales girl said her boss agreed to it. Before going back into the dealership (with me this time) DJ called to make sure the deal was still good and we weren't wasting time. Our sales gal said she might have lied. . . she started crying and hung up on us. Finally the sales manager agreed to sell us the car for $2,000 below invoice. I don't know how DJ does it.

We love our new car and since gas is so expensive right now DJ is driving the Civic just as much as I am . . . maybe more :o)


Taylor sits in her car seat now and says, "I LOVE this car!!". We're glad she likes this car because if all goes as planned it will be hers when she is 16. She has also told us, "I need my sister back here with me". She has baby fever and keeps asking for a sister and that mommy needs to have another baby. Wow.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

looks pretty sweet! we'll be in car shopping mode this next fall. madison will get my mazda when alison leaves home in august. like you, i absolutely loathe car shopping. makes me really cranky.