February 9, 2013

Home Enhancements

I've been spending a lot of time inside our house lately and it's starting to show. I've been working on some 'home enhancement' projects. I love our house. I really do. But it hasn't felt like it has a personal touch to it. So I decided to change that.

I browsed Pinterest (so thankful for it sometimes!) trying to find some cheap DIY projects I could do and gathered some decorating ideas because I fell into a rut (decoratively speaking). I am itching so bad for it to be Spring that I've been wanting to add pops of color everywhere I can. Everything outside is brown and lifeless and a lot of what's inside our home is brown - floors, cabinets, wall color, furniture. I saw brown everywhere I went. Short of painting I knew there were only a few things I could to help my issue.

I stumbled across this website and fell in love with the way she decorated her kitchen. I loved how simple and easy she made it look. I've always wanted to decorate the tops of our kitchen cabinets and I finally had the inspiration to do it. First, I gathered things I knew would work that I already had laying around our house.  It's still a work in progress but it's finally coming together.

Carrie and Paul gave us this picture a while ago but I never had anywhere to hang it. I might add some Bull Dog wine bottles to it.

This plate used to hang by our back sliding glass door but it got bumped a few too many times for me to be comfortable with it hanging there. This plate was a gift to me and it has a very  personal and special meaning. I love it and every time I see it it warms my heart. 

I picked up a few of these little plants. I thought they were too cute and would add just enough color to my windowsill.


I still felt like I needed a little more color so I tossed some yellow pears into my Sangria Jug

As you can see there's a few more finishing touches to make but I'm happy to finally see it all coming together. 


Above the left cabinet I want to add an old serving tray. 

Carrie and I went shopping and I found this one at Joann's and I may go back and get it. 

Other than the small decorating that's left I am going to make a mock-Roman shade for the kitchen. I found a great tutorial on making no-sew Roman shades and I think I will try that first. I just need to find the fabric I want to use and that's turning out to be the hard part. I did find shower curtain that might look good though. Not your normal fabric but anything would work. The woman who did the tutorial used a table cloth from Target. Some people are so creative! If it were circles instead of stripes I probably would have gotten it.

I'm also on the hunt for a decorative pillow for the bench in our entryway. It needs a pop of color and seeing that when I walk into the house would just make me happy :o) I haven't found a pillow that just said "that's the one! I NEED that!". I did find this fabric at Joann's and if I had a sewing machine I would have bought it and made my own pillow! This fabric makes me happy.

I've loved add all these touches to our home. And I really love that it hasn't cost us a lot of money and we've been able to use a bunch of stuff we already have. 

No comments: