January 5, 2010

Starting off with a BANG

DJ and I have started 2010 off with a bang. Literally. I mentioned (here) that I was going to cut my hair. I did. I dyed it as well and I love it! It's amazing what a small trim (by a friend of the family whom I LOVE) and a $7.00 box of DIY hair dye can do for you. I was already feeling hotter the next day. I had planned on posting a picture of my new hair style but as I am writing this, my hair is a hot mess :o), I have been working for 8 hours and it has been 10 hours since I did my hair. It's flat and gross, hence, it's a hot mess. Will post a picture tomorrow.


It's not on my list of 25 Things Before 25, but one goal for 2010 (besides saving money), was to take better care of the things I own. Since having Taylor I have become unorganized and things seem to get thrown around, not put away correctly and I began to feel bad. Well my car falls into that catagory. I keep the outside fairly clean (sometimes hard to do when it snows every other day) and the inside isn't awful but it could be improved upon. I plan on tackling that when the weather gets above 17 degrees. Saturday I took my car in for an oil change and found out that I had a tear in my front left CV axel joint. No fun. The dealership wanted $345 to fix it. A friend of the family who owns a shop offered to do it for about $100. I accepted. I was upset about this. It was only the second day of the new year and already I had unexpected expenses. I was also upset that I have only owned this car for 5 months and already I am putting more money into it than a car I owned for 3+ years. I understand cars need maintenance but it still bugged me. So 1 hour at this shop turned into 3 hours and $100 turned into $187. I wasn't happy. I was lied to about a few filters on my car, ironically this friend had to replace them after the dealership said my car did not have these filters. Ugghh - and big dealerships wonder why people hate going to them so much??

I was assured everything should be running fine on my car and shouldn't need any maintenance until my next oil change. I hope they are right. Not exactly how I wanted to start out the new year. But at least it's taken care of. If I were talking to my dad (who I love more than anything) he would tell me I was lucky I had the money to cover the repairs, they were fixable and someone was able to do them for less than the dealership. I do appreciate all the great things I just stated. But if something goes wrong every month how am I going to save money? I guess I'll need to throw a little more elbow grease into that goal. :o)

No comments: